This easy Fig Snack Cake comes together in a flash and always satisfies a sweet tooth.
Fig Snack Cake
Serves: 1 (13×9-inch) cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup Fig Preserves
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups halved fresh figs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1½ cups sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, Fig Preserves, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined. Fold in pecans. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together fresh figs, vanilla paste, and remaining ¼ cup sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve cake with whipped cream and fig mixture. Store cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can also make this cake with store-bought fig preserves.
Serves: 2 cups
- 1 pound fresh Black Mission figs, stemmed and chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring figs, sugar, ¼ cup water, lemon zest and juice, orange zest and juice, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and registers 220° on an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and transfer preserves to a heatproof container. Let cool, uncovered, to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!