Yummy Fig Preserves are delicious on homemade biscuits and all sorts of food.
Serves: about 2 cups
- 1 pound fresh Black Mission figs, stemmed and chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring figs, sugar, ¼ cup water, lemon zest and juice, orange zest and juice, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and registers 220° on an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and transfer preserves to a heatproof container. Let cool, uncovered, to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!