These tasty Egg and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches are made up of a delightful stack of cheese, egg, veggies, and greens for a hearty, flavorful breakfast.
Egg and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon 2% reduced-fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach, stemmed
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Remove onion from skillet; wipe skillet clean.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Add egg mixture to skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are just set but not dry. Remove eggs from skillet; wipe skillet clean.
- In skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add spinach, and cook, stirring frequently, until just wilted. Remove spinach from skillet; wipe skillet clean.
- Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise onto one side of each bread slice. Divide cheese, eggs, onion, tomato, and spinach among four slices, and top with remaining slices, mayonnaise side down.
- In skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add two sandwiches, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Kitchen Tip: The caramelized onion in step 1 can be refrigerated up to 5 days before you prepare the sandwiches.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!