These Easy Colorful Shortbread Cookies are simple to make and fun to decorate. This is a great recipe for kids to help with in the kitchen.
Easy Colorful Shortbread Cookies
Makes about 24
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup red sanding sugar
- ½ cup green sanding sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar with mixer at medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour, beating until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 2¼-inch-diameter log. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sanding sugars in separate shallow plates; roll logs in sugar to fully coat. Cut logs into ½-inch-thick slices, and place on prepared pans.
- Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
These dough logs can be frozen for up to 1 month. Let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator before continuing with step 3.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!