Enjoy the comforting flavor of this Easy Chicken and Dumplings on busy days.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Makes about 4 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- ½ (32-ounce) package frozen dumplings,* broken in thirds
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in frozen dumplings in batches, continuing to stir to keep dumplings from sticking to bottom of pan. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until dumplings are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in chicken, thyme, and parsley, and cook for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
*We used Mary B’s Dumplings. Refrigerated piecrusts cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces can be used instead of frozen dumplings.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!