A rich marinating and basting sauce made with Dr Pepper creates this tasty grilled chicken dish.
- 1 (12-ounce) can Dr Pepper (not diet)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds split chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan, bring Dr Pepper and next 8 ingredients to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a large, heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, combine chicken and half of sauce. Seal bag, and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray a grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Remove chicken from bag, discarding marinade. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, turning occasionally, until meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 20 to 30 minutes. Brush chicken with remaining sauce during last 15 minutes of cooking. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
If you like this, here are more bbq grill recipes from the Deen Brothers.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!