A rich marinating and basting sauce made with Dr Pepper creates this tasty grilled chicken dish.
Dr Pepper Barbecue Chicken
Makes about 8 servings
Write a review
- 1 (12-ounce) can Dr Pepper (not diet)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds split chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan, bring Dr Pepper and next 8 ingredients to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a large, heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, combine chicken and half of sauce. Seal bag, and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray a grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Remove chicken from bag, discarding marinade. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, turning occasionally, until meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 20 to 30 minutes. Brush chicken with remaining sauce during last 15 minutes of cooking. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!