This Curried Carrot-Coconut Soup is a delicious combination of bold flavors.
Curried Carrot-Coconut Soup
Makes 2½ quarts
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs, plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, toss together carrots, next 3 ingredients, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper until well combined. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes or until tender. Let cool on pan for 15 minutes.
- To the container of a blender, add half of carrot mixture, half of vegetable stock, and half of coconut milk; purée until smooth. Pour mixture into a large saucepan. Repeat with remaining carrot mixture, stock, and coconut milk.
- Bring carrot mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add curry powder, red pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and yogurt, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!