Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 1 (4-pound) Boston butt pork roast
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup coarse-grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 (1-pound) loaves French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound sliced deli honey ham
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 cups sliced dill pickles
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, place pork and next 7 ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW, and cook for 8 hours or until pork is tender.
- Remove pork from slow cooker, and shred meat with forks, discarding fat and bone. In a large bowl, toss together meat and 1/4 cup cooking liquid from slow cooker.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mustard, and horseradish, and spread onto cut sides of bread loaves. Top bottom halves of bread with pork, ham, cheese, pickles, and bread tops. Wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut each sandwich into fourths or fifths to serve.
- The pork roast can be cooked up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Reheat it in the microwave before assembling the sandwiches.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/