Crispy Hush Puppies
Makes abut 1 1/2 dozen
Write a review
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; stir in green onion and jalapeño. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/