“My family loves it when we get together for a meal, especially when fried chicken is involved!” — Paula
Crispy Fried Chicken
Write a review
- 5 cups buttermilk, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups buttermilk, 1∕3 cup salt, and sugar. Add chicken pieces; cover and chill for 4 hours. Drain chicken, discarding liquid. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350°.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, seasoned salt, and pepper. In a separate shallow dish, place remaining 1 cup buttermilk. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Dredge chicken again in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry chicken, in batches, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in chicken breasts registers 170° and thighs and drumsticks register 180°. Drain chicken on a wire rack set over paper towels. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!