Summer grilling has met its match with this tasty side dish! To get perfectly crispy fries, try double-frying the potatoes. This ensures they get cooked through and stay tender on the inside during the first fry and get crisp and browned on the outside in the second fry.
- Canola oil, for frying
- 5 medium russet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- Using a crinkle cutter, slice potatoes ¼ inch thick. Place potatoes in a large bowl of cold water; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well, and pat dry.
- Working in 3 batches, fry potatoes just until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°.
- Working in 5 batches, fry potatoes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Let drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.