Three cheeses make this mac ‘n’ cheese extra creamy.
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 8 servings
Write a review
- 1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni noodles
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cut into cubes*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Stir in macaroni, and cook for 7 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in half-and-half and evaporated milk; cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low; add cheeses, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in salt, dry mustard, and cooked macaroni. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in microwave. Stir in panko. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- *We used Velveeta.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/