If you’re looking for a rich and creamy side dish, look no further that this Creamed Spinach with Pearl Onions.
Creamed Spinach with Pearl Onions
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 (6-ounce) bags fresh spinach
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, add water to a depth of 1 inch; bring to a boil over high heat. Add spinach, and cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until spinach wilts. Drain thoroughly, and squeeze spinach to remove as much moisture as possible. Chop spinach.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Cook onions in hot drippings over medium heat for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over onions; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and stir in milk. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in sour cream and all remaining ingredients until melted and smooth. Stir in spinach, and cook just until heated through. Top with crumbled bacon.
- Four bags of spinach sounds and looks like a lot until you cook it. For the best texture, squeeze out as much water as you can.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes and more by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!