This scrumptious Creamed Corn with Smoked Sausage is perfect for sharing at your upcoming potlucks.
Creamed Corn with Smoked Sausage
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 12 medium ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped smoked sausage
- ½ cup chopped Vidalia onion 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Using a sharp knife, cut tips from corn kernels (about 3 cups). Using the back of a spoon, scrape cobs to remove pulp (about 1½ cups).
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion, and reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in corn, corn pulp, ¼ cup cream, and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ¼ cup cream; cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in thyme, black pepper, red pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!