Heating up the oil in the skillet makes the crust of the Creamed Corn Cornbread extra crispy, while the inside is moist and cheesy. Serve with lots of butter.
Creamed Corn Cornbread
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ⅓ cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in oven until skillet is hot.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add cheese, stirring to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn, buttermilk, eggs, and remaining ⅓ cup oil. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine. Pour batter over hot oil in skillet.
- Bake for 24 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!