These Creamed Collard Greens are bursting with smoky bacon flavor.
Creamed Collard Greens
Makes 8 servings
- 2 (16-ounce) bags shredded collard greens, large stems removed
- 4 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large Dutch oven filled with salted water to a boil over medium-high heat; add greens. When water returns to a boil, immediately drain greens, and transfer to ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and squeeze dry thoroughly.
- In Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot.
- Add onion to pot; cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in cream and broth, and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking frequently, until thickened. Stir in greens and bacon until well coated. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, 20 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!