Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce
Makes 6 appetizers or 3 entree servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced green onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise, divided
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shells
- 1½ tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper and green onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cooked vegetables, ½ cup mayonnaise, and next 6 ingredients; gently stir in crabmeat. Divide crab mixture into 6 portions, and shape each portion into a 3-inch patty. Cover and refrigerate patties for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- In a small bowl, stir together mustard, next 3 ingredients, and remaining ½ cup mayonnaise; cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, melt butter with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add crab cakes, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve with mayonnaise mixture, and garnish with chives, if desired.