Coffee-Toffee Ice Cream
Makes about 6 quarts
Write a review
- 2 quarts half-and-half
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 12 egg yolks
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup strong coffee, chilled
- 1 (12-ounce) bag miniature chocolate-covered toffee bars, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven, combine half-and-half and cream; cook over medium heat just until bubbles begin to form around edges of pan. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Gradually pour one-fourth of hot half-and-half mixture into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg yolk mixture to remaining hot half-and-half mixture in Dutch oven, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Stir in coffee and toffee bars.
- Pour mixture into container of an electric ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Ice cream will be soft. If a firmer texture is desired, spoon ice cream into an airtight container, and freeze for at least 4 hours.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/