Coconut Loaf Cake
Serves: 1 (9x5-inch) cake
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Coconut Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coconut extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with coconut milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in shredded coconut. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 80 to 85 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and spread Coconut Glaze onto warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ to ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and coconut milk until smooth. Stir in shredded coconut.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!