Be sure to buy canned coconut milk, not cream of coconut, for this luscious layered coconut-lime cake.
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Shaved coconut
- Garnish: fresh raspberries, lime slices
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- For batter: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add egg yolks and extracts, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients. In a small bowl, stir together coconut milk and buttermilk. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with coconut milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold egg whites into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter, lime zest, and lime juice with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Add whipped topping, beating until combined.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Press shaved coconut onto sides of cake, and garnish with raspberries and lime, if desired. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Be sure to buy coconut milk, not cream of coconut, for this cake, and give the coconut milk a good shake before you measure it.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/