Classic Fried Okra is a Southern treasure!
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 pounds fresh okra, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine okra and buttermilk; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2½ inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, seasoned salt, and cornstarch. Working in batches, drain okra from buttermilk, and dredge in flour mixture. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
Kitchen Tip: Fried okra can be kept warm in a 200° oven for up to 30 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!