Classic Collard Greens are a Southern dinner staple. Serve this yummy dish with a slice of Old-Fashioned Cornbread.
Classic Collard Greens
Makes about 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 4 bunches collard greens, stemmed and chopped (about 32 cups)
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is softened. Add collards in batches, stirring until wilted after each addition. Add turkey leg and next 3 ingredients; cover and cook for 25 minutes or until greens are tender. Stir in vinegar.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!