This Classic Chicken Pot Pie is comfort food at its best.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced peeled baking potatoes
- 1 cup (1-inch pieces) fresh green beans
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add potatoes, green beans, corn, carrot, onion, and celery; cook until vegetables are just soft, about 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, half-and-half, and flour. Add mixture to skillet. Stir in parsley, 1¼ teaspoons salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll piecrust to a 12-inch circle. Place dough on chicken mixture, and crimp edges as desired. Cut 6 slits in top of dough to release steam. Place skillet on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush dough with egg mixture, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Kitchen Tip: You can make the chicken filling up to 2 days ahead. When you’re ready to prepare the pot pie, simply reheat the filling in a skillet, top with piecrust, and bake.
If you like this, here’s another Paula Deen Southern Chicken Pot Pie Recipe you might want to try.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!