This Touch-of-Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is a cool and refreshing treat!
Touch-of-Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Makes 4 quarts
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Into a large saucepan, scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Add vanilla bean and milk, and cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form around edge of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and next 3 ingredients at medium-high speed with a mixer for about 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and pale. Add one-fourth of hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture in pan, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, and pour mixture into a large bowl. Remove and discard vanilla bean. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly on surface of custard to prevent skin from forming. Chill for at least 4 hours, or refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Pour mixture into the container of an ice cream maker. Add cream and vanilla. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve ice cream softly frozen, or transfer to an airtight container and freeze up to 1 week; let stand at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes to soften for scooping.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!