Enjoy this Chunky Tomato Soup with your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.
Chunky Tomato Soup
Makes about 2 quarts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 11/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh basil
- In a large nonreactive Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, tomatoes, sugar, basil, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Place 2 cups tomato mixture in the container of a blender. Secure lid on blender, and remove center piece of lid to let steam escape; place a clean towel over lid to avoid splatters. Blend until smooth; stir purée into soup. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!