A sweet glaze is the perfect finish to these chocolate walnut pound cake loaves.
Chocolate Walnut Pound Cakes
Makes 2 (8-inch) loaves
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 2 (8x5-inch) loaf pans with baking spray with flour.
- For batter: In a large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in sour cream and walnuts just until combined (do not to overmix). Spread batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 75 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For glaze: In a medium saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, and cream to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 1½ minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar until well combined. Pour onto cooled cake loaves.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!