Any shape cutter or an assortment of cutters will work for these delicious Chocolate Wafers as long as they are about the same size.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted square cutter, cut dough, gently rerolling scraps and cutting once more. Place on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Sift confectioners’ sugar onto cooled cookies. Store in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!