Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Write a review
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold strong-brewed coffee
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup hot caramel topping*
- Garnish: chopped chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- For batter: In a large bowl, whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, and eggs. Add coffee mixture to flour mixture, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Stir in sour cream. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 23 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In the top of a double boiler, whisk together sugar and egg whites until combined. Cook, without stirring, over simmering water until mixture registers 140° on a candy thermometer. Immediately pour mixture into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, and beat at high speed for 10 minutes
- Reduce speed to medium-low, and add butter 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in caramel topping until combined.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with espresso beans and pecans, if desired.
- *We used Smucker’s Hot Caramel Topping.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/