Chocolate Meringue Nests
Makes about 1 dozen
Write a review
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 (16-ounce) package chocolate-flavored candy coating, melted according to package directions
- 1 (6-ounce) package chow mein noodles
- Marshmallow chickens*
- Preheat oven to 300˚. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Add cocoa, and beat just until blended.
- Transfer egg white mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, and pipe mixture into 3-inch rounds onto prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, stir together candy coating and chow mein noodles. Spread onto same baking sheet, and let stand for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Gently crumble noodle mixture, and place into meringue nests; top each with a marshmallow chicken.
- *We used Peeps.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/