These decadent Chocolate-Blood Orange Custards will provide a sweet ending to any meal.
Chocolate-Blood Orange Custards
Makes 6 servings
- ⅔ cup milk chocolate chips
- Zest of 1 blood orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh blood orange juice
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Garnish: blood orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a medium bowl, combine chocolate chips and orange zest and juice. Place a fine-mesh sieve over top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream and espresso powder to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Slowly whisk 1 cup hot cream mixture into egg yolk mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining hot cream mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture registers 180° on an instant-read thermometer. Pour through prepared sieve onto chocolate mixture, and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Divide mixture among 6 (1-cup) oveproof ramekins. Place ramekins in a roasting pan; add hot water to roasting pan to come ½ inch up sides of pan.
- Bake until edges are set and centers jiggle slightly when gently shaken, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with zest, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!