These Chocolate Angel Food Shortcakes with Fresh Berries are packed with plenty of flavor and topped with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and sweet whipped cream.
Chocolate Angel Food Shortcakes with Fresh Berries
Makes 2 dozen
Write a review
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup cake flour*
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon almond liqueur
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Garnish: chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat at high speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. With mixer running, gradually add ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in almond extract.
- In a small bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar, cake flour, and cocoa. Gently fold into egg white mixture. Spoon batter into 24 ungreased muffin cups. Bake for 13 to 17 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cakes cool in pans for 30 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cakes to release sides.
- In a large bowl, combine all berries, liqueur, and remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes. Halve cakes horizontally. Spoon berry mixture over each cake bottom, and top with whipped cream. Cover with cake tops. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
- *We used Swans Down Cake Flour.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!