Enjoy the comforting taste of chicken, wild rice, baby portobello mushrooms, onion, broccoli, and Fontina cheese in a hearty casserole.
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 (24-ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 (6.2-ounce) boxes fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice,* cooked according to package directions
- 1 (8-ounce) package fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until done. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add mushrooms and onion to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or just until tender. Add wine, and cook for 5 minutes or until almost all liquid is evaporated. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, milk, mustard, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in broccoli, next 5 ingredients, and cooked chicken. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together bread cubes and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- *We used Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice Fast Cook Recipe.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!