These hearty Chicken Thighs with Black-Eyed Peas and Tomatoes are full of the summer’s delicious flavor.
Chicken Thigh with Black-Eyed Peas and Tomatoes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen black-eyed peas
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook chicken, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in paprika and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, peas, broth, green onion, remaining 1¼ teaspoons salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, and bring to a simmer. Place chicken, skin side up, in skillet.
- Bake until golden brown and a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, about 30 minutes. Stir in spinach just before serving. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!