Turn this easy sausage soup into a hearty, filling meal with a mixed green salad or grilled cheese sandwich.
Chicken, Rice, and Sausage Soup
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups white and wild rice blend
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper, and add to pot along with broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken, and shred meat, discarding bones.
- Stir in rice, and cook for 20 minutes. Return chicken to pot, and cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender and chicken is heated through; stir in parsley.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!