Keep the cold at bay by serving this wholesome Chicken Noodle Soup with your favorite crackers.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 (5-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 4 quarts water
- 2 onions, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- In a stockpot or large Dutch oven, bring chicken and next 9 ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Remove chicken from pot, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Shred meat, discarding skin and bones. Pour broth through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids and reserving broth.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in reserved broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in egg noodles and shredded chicken, and cook for 8 minutes or until noodles are tender.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/