This chicken dish was inspired by the French classic, Duck a l’Orange.
Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) whole fryer chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 navel orange, cut into wedges
- Garnish: fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in batches for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer chicken to a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Pour off all drippings from skillet, and add orange juice and next 6 ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits from skillet; bring to a boil. Pour orange juice mixture over chicken, and place orange wedges around chicken. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is very tender. Garnish with herbs, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/