Chicken and Dressing
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed and discarded
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6-ounce) packages buttermilk cornbread mix, baked according to package directions
- 6 frozen buttermilk biscuits, baked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large stockpot, bring chicken, next 7 ingredients, and water to cover to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from heat, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth, and set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred meat, discarding skin and bones. Reserve 2 cups shredded chicken, and set aside remaining chicken for another use.
- Strain broth through a wire mesh sieve, discarding solids. Reserve 5 cups broth, and set aside remaining broth for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, crumble baked cornbread and biscuits.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped onion, chopped celery, and garlic, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until very tender.
- To cornbread mixture, add poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, cooked vegetables, and reserved 2 cups chicken, stirring until well combined. Add eggs, stirring until combined. Gradually add reserved 5 cups chicken broth, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until center is set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/