This savory Chicken Chili is a comforting meal during the cold nights of autumn and winter. Enjoy this delicious dish with cornbread.
Makes about 2½ quarts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (15.5-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- ¾ cup chopped green onion
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package chili seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add bell pepper, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes, green onion, and chili seasoning, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove chicken, and shred meat with two forks. Return chicken to pot, and cook until heated through. Stir in cheese just before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!