Flavorful chicken, broccoli, and garlic merge together to make this a filling Cheddar soup.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (32-ounce)
- 1 carton chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (24-ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Garnish: shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt; add to pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until chicken just begins to brown. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, and simmer for 20 minutes or until soup is thickened. Add sour cream and all cheese, stirring until melted. Garnish with Cheddar, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!