This chicken and sausage gumbo recipe from Paula Deen will warm you up.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Write a review
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a large Dutch oven, cook chicken and sausage, stirring often, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet, and let drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- To pan, add oil; whisk in flour, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 to 40 minutes until mixture is chocolate colored. Stir in onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Gradually stir in broth. Add okra, next 5 ingredients, and chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 2½ to 3 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice, and garnish with green onion, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!