Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk, chilled
- 2 cups chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla bean. Cook over medium-low heat just until small bubbles begin to form around edges of pan, stirring occasionally.
- Pour one-fourth of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture in saucepan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat; pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids.
- Fill a large bowl with ice. Place bowl containing milk mixture in ice, and let stand, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Remove bowl from ice bath, and stir in salt, evaporated milk, and cherries. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Pour mixture into container of an electric ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Ice cream will be soft. If a firmer texture is desired, transfer ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/