Congealed Salad is so flavorful, this Southern side dish could be served as dessert.
Cherry-Pineapple Congealed Salad
Makes about 12 servings
Write a review
- 1½ cups crushed pretzels
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark sweet cherries, drained and juice reserved
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
- 2 (3-ounce) boxes black cherry-flavored gelatin
- Garnish: whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine pretzels, pecans, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Add melted butter, stirring to combine. Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan, and bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining ½ cup sugar at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Stir in whipped topping. Spread mixture over prepared crust; cover and chill.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, combine reserved cherry juice and reserved pineapple juice; add enough water to make 3 cups. Pour into a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add gelatin, stirring to dissolve. Remove from heat, and stir in cherries and pineapple. Cool for 30 minutes. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Pour cherry mixture over cream cheese layer. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or until mixture is set. Garnish with whipped topping, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/