The bright maraschino cherries in this easy Cherry Almond Skillet Cake look so festive.
Cherry Almond Skillet Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, drained well
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spread batter into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle with cherries and almonds.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Baking Tip: Not sure how old your baking soda is? To test it, stir together 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar and ¼ teaspoon baking soda. If the mixture bubbles rapidly, the baking soda is still good. If not, it should be replaced.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!