Your family is going to love this scrumptious Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole.
Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups (¼-inch-thick) sliced yellow squash (about 1½ pounds)
- 5 cups (¼-inch-thick) sliced zucchini (about 1½ pounds)
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups crushed buttery round crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring broth, squash, zucchini, and onion to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until squash is tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1½ cups cheese, bell pepper, egg, soup, sour cream, melted butter, salt, and pepper. Gently stir in cooked vegetables until well combined. Spoon half of squash mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of crushed crackers. Top with remaining squash mixture, remaining crackers, and remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!