Transform a simple potato into these fun and flavorful potato tots.
Cheesy Potato Tots
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- 3½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Fill a large Dutch oven halfway with water; add 3 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes; cook until just softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain, and let cool completely.
- Finely shred potatoes into a large bowl; stir in cheese, flour, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Scoop mixture by tablespoonfuls, and gently roll into balls.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Working in batches, fry tots until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Kitchen tip: Spray your hands with cooking spray to keep tots from sticking while rolling.