Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole makes a great addition to hearty winter meals.
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
Makes about 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup minced sweet onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated shredded potatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) package sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together onion mixture, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Fold in potatoes and half of cheese. Spoon mixture into prepared pan, and cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover, top with remaining cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!