Cheesy Corn Spoon Bread has a soft texture, and it puffs up slightly as it bakes. You can also bake it in a 3½- to 4-quart baking dish.
Cheesy Corn Spoon Bread
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⅓ cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups chopped green onion
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 large eggs, beaten well
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In large saucepan, whisk together milk, cornmeal, and salt until smooth; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 4 cups cheese, corn, green onion, butter, and red pepper until melted. Slowly whisk eggs into cornmeal mixture until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and sprinkle with remaining 2 cups cheese.
- Bake until center is set and cheese is lightly browned, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.
Get more great traditional Southern recipes and more by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!