Cheesy Corn Casserole is a zesty blend of bacon, corn, cream cheese, extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, fresh parsley, and fried onions.
Cheesy Corn Casserole
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups french-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from skillet, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Melt butter with reserved drippings over medium heat. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth and cream; cook, whisking occasionally, for 8 minutes or until very thick and bubbly. Stir in cream cheese and Cheddar until melted and smooth. Stir in corn, next 3 ingredients, and cooked bacon. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with fried onions.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Kitchen Tip: Casserole can be assembled and refrigerated up to 2 days ahead. Let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, sprinkle with onions, and bake as directed.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!