Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in stock, wine, and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in 1 cup cheese, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, rice, peas, and parsley. Spoon mixture into an 11×7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!