This Catfish Gumbo is chock-full of fresh summer okra and zesty Cajun and Creole flavors.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons filé powder
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions celery, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour onto vegetables, and cooking, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and okra, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, hot sauce, fish, and filé powder, and cook for 10 minutes or until fish is done. Serve with rice.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!